Six important administrative steps when arriving in Saarbrücken:


Step 1: Find accommodation

Usually accommodation is provided for IMPRS-CS students at least for their first weeks in Germany.
Later, the institute assists its students with finding accommodation.

Private accommodation in Saarbrücken is available for around 6.50 Euros/m2. These prices refer to the “Kaltmiete”, i. e. the rental price without the extras, such as heating, electricity, garbage collection, etc. These additional costs depend on individual stipulation. You will need a signed lease agreement to register at the Bürgeramt / town hall. (Step 4)

Step 2: Health insurance

Before registering with the university, you need a certificate of health insurance. To get coverage, you can, for example, join the AOK (Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse) (they have an office on the campus in building D1 2, ground floor, room 012) or the TK (Techniker Krankenkasse). Both are so-called “Gesetzliche Krankenkassen“.
Regardless of which health insure you choose, you will need to bring along your “Zulassungsbescheid” from the university. They will also ask for your bank account data, so that they can debit the amount of the contributions directly.

Step 3: Register at the university

You need to register before starting your studies and re-register each semester. At registration you will get your student identity card, which also includes the “Semesterticket” that gives you free access to all buses and trains in Saarland. You will also get a personal account for mail and internet. Please note: you must use this mail address to register for courses and you will recieve important notifications only via this adress. More information can be obtained at the Hochschul-IT-Zentrum (German only).

Registration (German: Immatrikulation) takes place in building A4 2 (ground floor) on campus (map).

Information about registration for international applicants.

The universities website provides more information about the (re-)registration and the initial enrollment in English.

IMPRS-CS students must re-register during the final three weeks of the official re-registration period.

Step 4: Register at town hall

When registering at the Bürgeramt you will receive your residence attestation that you later need for opening a bank account.

Bürgeramt City
Gerberstrasse 4
66111 Saarbrücken (map)
Tel.: 0681 / 9050

Opening hours:
Monday + Tuesday: 7:30 a. m. – 3:00 p. m.
Wednesday + Friday: 7:30 a. m. – 12:00 a. m.
Thursday: 7:30 a. m. – 6:00 p. m.
You need to bring your passport and a copy of your signed lease contract.

In case you have questions or problems: the university’s International Office (at the Campus Center, building A 4 4) offers help with registration as well as visa extension.


Step 5: Open a bank account

When opening a bank account you need to bring the proof of residence (Einwohnermeldebestätigung) you received from the town hall (Bürgeramt) and your passport.
There are various banks that have branches in Saarbrücken. Ask for a student account, which is usually free of charge. You can find the addresses of a number of banks below:

  • Volksbank Saar-West eG Address: Reichsstraße 10, 66111 Saarbrücken Tel.: 06831 / 4501 – 300 We have had positive experiences with this bank so far.

  • Deutsche Bank Saar AG Address: Kaiserstraße 29-31, 66111 Saarbrücken Tel.: 0681 / 3002-0 This bank has branches in many cities all over the world.

  • Commerzbank Address: Kaiserstr. 25, 66111 Saarbrücken Tel.: 0681 / 3091-0

  • Sparkasse Saarbrücken Address: Neumarkt 17, 66117 Saarbrücken Tel.: 0681 / 504-4000

Step 6: Foreigners’ Office

You need to extend your visa for the duration of your stay in Saarbrücken.

Lebacherstraße 6a
66113 Saarbrücken (map)
Tel.: 0681 / 501-00 (general office)

Opening hours:
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a. m. – 12:00 a. m.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 01:00 p. m. – 04:00 p. m.

Please note:
You have to make an appointment in advance. Otherwise, your request will not be treated.
Please send an e-mail to arrange an appointment!

You need to bring:

  • 1 recent passport-size photo (biometric)
  • the completed residence permit application form. Print out the form (pdf: Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltsgenehmigung in German) and fill it in
  • Students holding a scholarship need to take a scholarship attestation from MPI-INF/IMPRS-CS with them; they needn’t pay any fees.
  • Students without a scholarship need to take their admission letter from the university (Zulassungsbescheid), and they have to pay about 100 Euros in fees if they are staying for up to one year and about 110 Euros if they are staying for longer than one year. A prolongation of your visa will cost about 80 Euros.
  • confirmation of registration at the town hall (Meldebescheinigung)
  • passport
  • confirmation of enrollment at university / student identity card